Wednesday, April 24, 2013

BLOG POST 5 : The Box


I've been enjoying looking at ancient and contemporary works in ceramics this quarter. It makes me feel connected culturally to the world because I love art history.

The first ancient box I want to talk about is the gold Incense box from Japan in 1868 to 1912. The box is bulky and yet the feet are so dainty. The illustration of children playing with snow is interesting and the shape and material of the box creates an ornate-ness.

This gold and enamel French box from the late 1800's caught my eye because it's just so pretty. The colors are royal and floral pattern is symmetrical. The box shape is interesting; kind of like a purse.

The Green Leaf Covered Serving Dish with Charger by Margaret Bohls from 2007 looks like a French aristocratic pillow. The box and tray are a nice set for and the lid fits beautifully on the base of the box.


 
 
The box by you, Stephen (and Kathy Guss), initially grabbed my attention because of the unusual and organic shapes. I just had to do a double take. And when I saw it was made by you, my literal thought was, "Oh, cool!" It's just so interesting. Looking at this box prompted me to view a few more by you too. I really like this charcoal-black and tan box. The puzzle lid fits together expertly. The feet are rounded and are consistent within the entire box shape. I'd be interested to hear the story behind these.   

No comments:

Post a Comment