Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Blog 2

These are Monochrome Bowls from Syria dating back to the first century AD. THey are actually made from glass. They have a great look to them, like if I was living in a shack by the cliffs of the Mojave these would be sitting askew on my wall in a cabinet with no door. The red speckled one reminds me of a composition notebook and the green one reminds me of something you'd put powder in in high school science.


This is: Childbirth bowl (scodella) with confinement-chamber scene (interior) and Diana and Actaeon (exterior), ca. 1530s
Circle of Francesco Xanto Avelli (Italian, ca. 1486–ca. 1582)
Tin-glazed earthenware (maiolica) 


If for any reason I was replicated by technological means and their was a freak accident that divided me into two, one half good and one half evil, I would not want to be my evil side and in a museum with this bowl because I would undoubtedly pick it up and smash it on the floor and giggle maniacally. 


http://artaxis.org/ceramics/meaden_lorna/lorna_meaden/meaden-06.jpg This is contemporary work by Meaden Lorna. The bowls look like they have rivets in the side for accent. If I was an anthropomorphic black cat who lived in a Cubist, black and white and sepia, alternate reality of the 1920's- I would sip my meager watery-cabbage soup from this bowl.



http://artaxis.org/ceramics/shaw_andy/andy_shaw/bowls(2)(2).jpg These bowls are quite comfy. The texture reminds me of the "basse-taille" technique in metalwork/enameling where "the entire pattern is created in such a way that its highest point is lower than the surrounding metal. A translucent enamel is then applied to the metal, allowing light to reflect from the relief and creating an artistic effect."
The pattern is very delicate. I wonder how I could apply a pattern with such uniformity? 


No comments:

Post a Comment