Friday, April 19, 2013

BLOG POST 4 : The Big La Bowl Ski





This tea bowl from ancient China is simple, but utilitarian. I am amazed that it has existed as long as it has. It has a nice, consistent lip and a slender foot that is very well done. I like that the bowl shape stands up a ways from the base of the foot.

 
 
 
 
The bowls featuring a pair of rabbits from ancient New Mexico are stylistically specific to that region. I chose this because it is so different than ceramic pieces we see from Oriental cultures.   

 
 
 
 
 
Instantly, I LOVED the colors of these bowls made in 2004 by Hayne Bayless. The copper glaze and turquoise provide such a beautiful contrast because they are complimentary colors. The bowl shape within itself is interesting, with the feet being angular which mirrors the body of the bowl.



I liked this red bowl with the orange center by Linda Arbuckle in 2005 because it reminded me of Mediterranean ceramic tiles. The four notches on the edge of the bowl are cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment