Thursday, April 11, 2013

Blog #3

The first serving vessel that I was drawn to was this serving platter made by John Gill. I like the use of the geometric shapes and sharp lines. I also liked the contrasting use of color. Some of the colors on the piece, particularly the blue and yellow area near the middle and bottom right, reminded me of decorative scarp book paper. The top left reminded me of the head of an origami crane. Overall, this piece reminded me a lot of different types of paper, especially due to the use of sharp lines and angles by Gill.


The second piece that caught my eye was the plate crafted by Mark Pharis. I liked the simple use of colors and shapes, and the odd shape of the plate itself. The coloring of the plate reminded me of Halloween colors.  Its shape and coloring reminded me of a pumpkin or jack-o-lantern. Although the plate uses simple coloring and shapes, I think that this would be a statement serving plate.



The third piece that I enjoyed was the butter holder (I am assuming) by Liz Zlot Summerfield. I actually liked all of the pieces by Zlot Summerfield but this peice was my favorite. The gold accent on the top of the handle really adds a bit of flair to the piece. I also liked the use of calm colors - light and neutral greens intersplashed with a deep burnt orange. I like the contrast between the two sides of the top. The raised leaves add a nice layer of texture to the piece.The soft curvature of the top of the vessel also reminded me of a cottage of sorts.


The final piece that caught my eye was another serving platter created by Mark Pharis. The black and burnt orange of this plate reminded me of ceramic artifacts found in the South West, particularly in the Four Corners region of the area. The zig-zag lines reminded me of a lithics that often represent water in pictographical languages. I also like the elongated shape of this serving platter. 



No comments:

Post a Comment