Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Blog IV


This Japanese tea bowl circa 1575 caught my eye because it was unlike any of the others. The texture looks like smooth stone, giving it an archaic feeling. I find it quite beautiful, especially how the lip and sides are slightly warped. I also like the size of the foot. An ancient earthenware piece; I would love to own a set like that.


I love the symmetry of this bowl. I found it interesting to learn that the Arabic word for happiness in written twice in the center; what a lovely touch. The simple blue and white is, of course, reminiscent of Chinese porcelain. It gives off a fresh and clean appearance and would go well in a kitchen.


These bowls are very modern, and they caught my eye immediately. The contemporary design is smooth and the colorful patterns are tasteful. Although the colors are somewhat pastel-like and earthy, the bowls are not dull, but instead have a nice sheen to them. The dipped foots are a fantastic addition.


I really liked all of Linda Arbuckle's ceramic pieces, mainly because of the exciting colors and her obvious influence from nature. I also like she shares her last name with Jon Arbuckle from Garfield, but that is beside the point. She has made a wonderful choice with the yellow and red mixed with black and white in this piece, creating a modern and vibrant bowl. I like that this bowl is square and has protruding handles.

~ Ariella Hillger

No comments:

Post a Comment