Sunday, April 21, 2013

Blog 4 (Second Set of Bowls)



The first historic bowl that I really like is the bowl emulating Chinese stoneware from the 9th century. I love that calligraphy is used and that it was one of the earliest examples of it that was incorporated as the main element of decoration. The decor circling the rim of the bowl is a nice touch and brings attention to the calligraphy in the center. I think the blue on opaque white is a nice and simple color combination on the bowl. 


The second historic bowl that I really liked is the Japanese tea bowl. It was an interesting piece given that the shape didn’t look like a normal teal bowl with the tall block walls, uneven rim, and a small foot to support it all. The dull black glaze and three spur marks of iron support (Raku ware) adds a smooth and interesting texture to the bowl.


The first contemporary bowl(s) that I really liked is above. I really liked the simplicity of the bowls – the proportionate size shape, the circle and line designs, the earth tone colors used to create the designs, and the smooth one color glaze. Also, I thought the slight dip on both sides of the bowl rims was a nice added touch.

The second contemporary bowl(s) that I really liked is above. I liked how it was well assembled together by hand and that created an interesting shape (rim and sides) for a bowl instead of the circular shape of a bowl thrown on a wheel. I think the mismatch of the orange and turquoise colors used throughout the bowls really adds dynamism to the piece. 

No comments:

Post a Comment