Monday, April 22, 2013

Blog 4

The first bowl that caught my eye was the Bowl with Pair of rabbits made by the Mimbres People of New Mexico sometime during the mid 9th to 12th centuries. Only the inside of this bowl seems to be decorated, which according to the post is typical of bowls made during this time. I like the animal motif used in this bowl and the use of symmetry begin the two rabbits.


The second bowl that I really liked was the bowl by Shawn Spangler. I liked the use of decoration on both the inside and outside of the bowl, as well as how the glaze seems to blend between the two colors rather than having a sharp delineation between the two colors. I also like the contrast created by the bottom portion of the unglazed clay paired with the top glazed portion of the bowl.


The third bowls that I liked were the first bowls in the series by Courtney Murphy.I liked the shape of the rim of the bow, and how the shape raises and dips along the rim. I also liked the the bowls were slightly oval rather than a perfect circle. The glaze used was majolica, and I liked how this type of glaze gave the bowls somewhat of a sheen, but much less than glaze.


The second historic bowl I liked was the bowl believed to be from Basra, Iraq that was emulating Chinese Stoneware. I thought that this tied into what we talked about in class today - cultural appropriation. I liked the use of caligraphy on the inside of the bowl. The bowls are ornate yet uncluttered and simplistic, which I like.




No comments:

Post a Comment