Sunday, April 7, 2013

Blog #2

The first set of bowls I chose were the pair of low-footed bowls with the busts of Ruggieri and Filomena. These bowls were made in the 1520s in Italy. I like the use of the deep blue coloring on the bowls and the use of the tapestries depicting the name of the people features on the bowl.


I was surprised by how old these bowls were. These monochrome bowls date back to the first century A.D. I like the simplicity of these bowls, as well as the speckles in the finish on the bowls. I think that the speckles add texture to the pieces. The size and shape of these bowls remind me of cereal bowls.



Of the modern bowls, I really enjoyed two sets of the bowls. The first set, the lobed bowls caught my eye due to their unique shape.The lobed bowls were Michel Conroy in 2008. I also like the small detail of black on the base of the bowls. I like the contrast of the yellow inside with the light green outside on the bowl pictured below. I am not sure how you would throw a bowl like this, but I really enjoy the lobed shape of these bowls. 


I was also drawn to the pouring bowls made by Deborah Schwartskopf due to their unique shape. They have a simple design with light coloring. The slight us of red on the inside of the top bowl reminded me of someone sticking out their tongue. Like the lobed bowl, i was drawn to this bowl because of their shape. They reminded me of a type of watering can someone may use to water plants inside their home.


No comments:

Post a Comment