Monday, January 9, 2012

5 important tips for throwing

I have thrown before many years ago when I took pottery in high school. Even though I have done it before it has been a long time and I don't really remember how to do it. I do remember that it was complicated at first but after a couple times it gets much easier. After watching the demo on how to throw a cylinder and looking over the 12 tips to throwing I think that 1, 2,4,7, and 12 are crucial to throwing. While they are all important I think that if I remember these 5 tips I will be successful at throwing on the wheel. If I make sure to have consistent weight and size in the balls I use to throw I will become more comfortable with throwing and there will also be consistency in my work. By using equal pressure of my top and side hands while I center I will create a nice rounded shape that is centered on the wheel thus allowing me to pull properly and create a nice cylinder. By using gradual pressure on my initial contact and upon release during centering and pulling I will ensure that my clay stays properly centered and does not move all over the wheel. If I make sure to never touch the clay if the wheel is not moving I will keep the clay from falling to one side, cracking and collapsing in on itself. And lastly, by making sure to keep the clay and my hands wet i will avoid friction and ultimately keep my clay from cracking and tearing. If i remember to do all of these things I believe I will be successful at throwing on the wheel.

No comments:

Post a Comment