Monday, January 12, 2015

Assignment 1

Kalika Bowlby: Mug
This mug was made by Kalika Bowlby using a wheel thrown technique. I like the practicality and simplicity of this mug. I also like her decals she drew on the side splashed between a soft color. If I make a mug than I would like to make them taller because they never hold as much coffee as I want to drink. Also, I would include a ridge or an indentation around the middle of the mug so that it is easier to hold.


These tumblers on a tray was created by Victoria Christen using a wheel thrown, slab built technique. I like the idea of a tray just to hold a set of drinks whether it be for water, tea, or shot glasses. I also like how these glasses have what look to be, imperfect rims. I think that this tray could use some handles which is something that I would like to implement into my piece. I also like that the tray has straight up edges. For the purpose of this tray (to hold drinks), I think it makes perfect sense to have the edges at a 90 degree angle that way they are all held safely within the tray.


I like the idea of having a two-mug set with a tray because when I make coffee, it is usually for me and one other person. I would like to implement ridges, straight edges, and handles into my own work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment