Monday, January 26, 2015

Bowls and More Bowls

30 bowls? Seems like a crazy amount of dishes. Although, I do have a rather large family. Perhaps I can invite everyone over for soup.

Seriously though, I have a thing for sets and things that match. First a look at a historical bowl. I found this one (thanks to one of the links) that I really like. Its a Chinese tea bowl. I really like how its  shaped, and how the emphasis is more on practicality not on beauty.

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-art/91.1.226
Song Dynasty Tea Bowl


I love bowls that are at more of an angle on the sides. Really, what is the point of a bowl when the sides are so flat it looks like a plate? You can't eat cereal from a plate, well maybe you can but I sure can't. For my bowls I hope to make something that is deep and can hold a good amount of ice-cream. 

For my modern bowl I found this one on AccessCeramics. It too has the nicely sloped sides. I really love the color of this one. It has a down to earth feel, and it looks very organic and natural. Like the tea bowl above it is functional and beautiful without shouting in your face about design. 

http://accessceramics.org/results/technique/7/
Jan Schachter, Thrown, 2011

Some Sketches. I want to have deep bowls. I have no idea how I want to decorate them yet. I considered what a square bowl would be like, but I am not sure if you can make a square bowl on the wheel. Perhaps a bowl with a square foot. 




No comments:

Post a Comment