Sunday, January 11, 2015

Assignment #1 (Updated)

This piece is from Brenda Quinn, found on artaxis.org, which was slab and coil built. I like the simplicity of the hexagonal shapes that form a rectangle. I like that the pieces are uniform and fit together nicely. It looks like she carved some leaves into her art, and I would like to emulate her technique, both using geometric shapes and in-layed patterns in my work for this assignment.

These pieces are from Hayne Bayless, featured on artaxis.org. These pieces were hand-build with slabs. I am fascinated by the gradient color scheme this artist has achieved. In the description, it is mentioned that they used a "copper matt glaze", which I would like to see if I could put a beautiful gradient on my pieces that I am going to make this quarter. Bayless also uses patterns in their work, although these were made using a stencil.


This is the template I ended up using for my trays. The measurements are listed as 5" and 2 3/8". 



For my drawings, I decided I wanted to use Quinn's hexagonal shape and small patterns combined with Bayless's gradient scheme. If I cannot utilize too many colors, I might try to soften up the edges of the geometric design, as Bayless's work seems to be more rounded compared to Quinn's style, at least in the photo I posted here. Links to the photos I used as reference are linked to their name. 

No comments:

Post a Comment