Monday, January 12, 2015

Assignment 1

 I found these three cups on access ceramics.org. They are by art it Kalika Bowlby and I absolutely adore them. I am an avid coffee connoisseur (if that's a thing) and for some strange reason I really enjoy giant cups. These three are all pretty perfect in size and I think it's neat that they don't have a handle.
What really drew me in was the patterns and color. The deep red bottoms provide a nice contrast to the icy teal, blue, and green. (I'm not sure about the far left cup, poor guy is missing out on some blues!) I think the unity in the patterns provides that magical line that keeps your eye moving up and down the cup. I would totally buy these.

I honestly opened this image up on access ceramics.org because of it's title, "Liquor Cups", I thought it was a great title. What is even more great is that I really adore the actual cups as well. To me however, the placement of the cups in the tray reminds me more of a coffee carrier (obviously more high class than the cardboard ones). These cups are by artist Nicholas Bivins. While reading about the piece I noticed that the technique used was one I have never heard of in my life: CNC-milled MDF… I'm not sure what exactly that is, so hopefully someone can help me out here? 
The simple design is one that I enjoy, but the color is one I can live without. Bivins created a beautiful unity by keeping all of the shapes very rectilinear and having very crisp lines. 
Here are three super quick sketches. I really like the patterns Bowlby used and the bold color of Bivins. I am hoping to combine the two. As I said before, I like big cups and that is what I plan on making. (Fingers crossed it happens).



No comments:

Post a Comment