Friday, September 30, 2011

Mugs- Kayla Rodriguez

These mugs were originally thrown on the wheel, and that is how they got their initial shape and then altered to get their unique pattern and design. The pattern itself is very detailed, but what I noticed the most about these mugs, other than their pattern, is the handles. They look extremely delicate, but being a mug, they should be quite durable, at least I would hope so.


This mug, similar to the first in how it was made, being thrown on the wheel then later altered to get the unique pattern is quite different in the general appeal. The first collection of mugs were delicate looking, extravagent even due to their intricate detailed pattern. While this mug looks simple but crafty, more of an everyday mug that I would actually use.



This mug was thrown on the wheel as well but with porcelain. I like the shape of this mug a lot because of the super tiny bottom and the exaggerated middle. My favorite thing about this mug in particular is the glaze work. First off it isn't shiny all the way around and I am into the dull look. Secondly, the fading around the middle and dark fading around the edges looks really sweet. Lastly, the blob creeping around the side of the mug is cool because it accents the peaceful look of fading dullness.

Lastly, is this picture of these two mugs beautifully crafted, imperfections and all. Sadly, I am unable to put the picture up at the moment... but I will try again tomorrow! (http://accessceramics.org/viewimage/549/) However, I enjoy these mugs a lot because it is clear that the artist wasn't concerned with getting the most perfect product. The mugs are not symmetrical, and their glaze has no rhyme nor reason but I think that makes them all the more beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment