Thursday, September 29, 2011

Handle-lacking Mugs, By Joe Savidge

While these mugs don’t have handles, they do have cuddly cute little faces.  However, the artist is using the cute faces as a distraction from the true intent:  To deliver a message of the beast with three rows of six (666) cups.  I also like the color schemes and the little potbellies.  A few have what look to be teardrops.  Nice.
Another sweet, precious, cute piece by Mikey Walsh featuring bulging eyes that leave me wondering what these little half-penguins have been doing.  I think the piece does a good job of mixing innocence with derangement:  Would your grandma put these on display?

This is a beautiful beer-drinking mug.  Amazing detail all the way through to the cup’s deification by its cushioned-pedestal placement.  I don’t know where I would drink from, but I’m sure that can be figured out.  I’d like to know more about the people on the cup because I smell a whiff of history from this Bavarian-looking piece.



  
Zoom in and notice that these finely crafted handle-lacking cups are advertising bottom shelf whiskey by the name of Black Velvet.  Why not Chivas Regal?  Johnnie Walker?  Well, maybe it’s an ode to the poor man who can still have appreciation for the fine arts.  Or maybe not.  Either way, these cups interest me even more because of their square bottoms and rounded tops. 

No comments:

Post a Comment