Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Journal Entry #2: Cups without handles


Think about the cup. How much has the design of the cup changed over history?...not very much. Other than changing the size, shape and color of the cup, the same basic design has stuck through the history books, so simple, and so very important.

Cups appeal to me the most because you can always make so many different designs with cups, not one cup is ever the same. Everyday we all use a cup at one point in time, but we never take a second to really look at that cup and admire its beauty. Even though most of the cups we use are Styrofoam as extremely ugly, but that’s neither here nor there….

The cups that catch my eye the most are the ones that are in fact made with ceramics. Not just the colors that I can see visually, but the texture on my fingers when I pick it up. I know that I have a good grip. A good example of texture and color would be this cup made by Greg Van Dusseldorp.

Another appealing aspect to me is the weight that ceramic cups have to offer. A heavy cup that sits perfect in my hand is an amazing feeling. Not only do you know that you have a sturdy cup that is going to help you quench your thirst, but at the same time you can work on your biceps with some curls. 
   This cup has it all, amazing colors, design, great texture, and the most important part, heavy feel to it (or so it looks).


No comments:

Post a Comment