Monday, September 26, 2011

Journal entry #1

What do you find visually intriguing or conceptually fascinating?

     As an artist there are many different types of images and types of art that I find to be visually intriguing. At the moment however, I am most fascinated with images of surreal and abstract images that reflect a certain realism that you can connect to. All the while interpreting an idea that also makes you think.  So it either has to be completely realistic with an element that shouldn't be there, such as the woman's profile with the sea creatures on her neck and chin; or completely abstract such as the curved lines and images associated with the Swedish ceramic pot. 
    With the addition of artistic abstraction this image of what appears to be a pot with many different openings is very visually interesting to me. "Twisted" by Maggie Jones captures my interest as my eyes wander around the image. After closer examination it seems as if only the curves of the lines around the pot suggest there are many different chambers, while the top is open to all. I find this fascinating, because I originally looked at it one way, and the longer I looked, the more I understood how it worked. But as a crucial element, I still have no idea how the artist created such a pot.
 
 Finally is the piece below, with the image of a face inside a tight circle. This is very interesting because of the thought processes it suggests. Why is the face trapped in such a way? Did the artist feel trapped when they created it? The asymmetrical nature of the piece along with its semi-realistic face, and surrealistic composition intrigue me. Also why did the artist use that patina on the finished product? did they purposely want it to look like old stone carved in ages past? all of these questions are on the forefront of my mind as I examine this piece, and therefore it holds my interest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment