Monday, February 11, 2013

Boxes

This Korean cosmetic box uses many other materials on the surface as decoration. The mother-of-pearl inlays remind me of the ones on guitar fretboards, and I think it compliments the black paint and touches of gold.

This Japanese incense box is very interesting in the way that it opens. It has a uniqueness to it with the layering that I wish to try with some projects in the future. The finish is very clean and the decorations seem to tell a story, which is traditional among many Japanese appliances.

These more modern boxes by Betsy Williams are very attractive to me because they are simple and uniform with one another. I like the idea of having a set with similar attributes but a uniqueness to each set piece. These boxes achieve a balance on their own, as well as in a group.

I have not seen anything like this last box. It has a remarkable form because it has an organic feel to it all the while trying to maintain it's purpose as a geometric "box." This thing has a movement to it with the shapes on the surface that makes it look alive.

1 comment: