Friday, January 11, 2013

Assignment one



Erdahl uses an interesting glaze technique to make this ordinary face look dark and demented. The deconstructed quality and the red on the mouth make me think of the guy as a clown in an old abandoned amusement park. The features themselves are done very well with the wrinkles and facial creases.
                                                                                                 

I found this piece particularly interesting because of the stark contrast between the very dark figure and the bright turquoise crown he wears. I also think the eyes are done extremely well. The artist has created a unique, almost reptilian skin as well and I am curious about his technique for that.  


Haniwa
I chose this house figure because it looks interesting from an architectural perspective and I wonder if it was actually designed after their homes. It also reminds me of the candle holder lanterns.

Jomon
I like this piece because it reminds me of the Greek or Roman style ceramic pots. The detail in the engraving is impressive and I would like to try something like that on my bowls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment