Saturday, January 19, 2013

Blog Assignment 2: Bowls


The lip of this Fruit Bowl by Deborah Shwartzkopf really drew my attention. I hadn't given much contemplation to the notion of altering them, but this adds another element to the form entirely. The glaze she uses is also very appealing for the piece. I enjoy the touches of red on the external parts.


This set of monochrome bowls appears fairly simple, but that's what I like about them. They have a weathered and ancient look, and the foot raises them off of the surface a little more than other bowls, giving them some air of importance.

This "Sweetheart Bowl" from Don Reitz also plays with the lip of the bowl in other ways. Due to the metallic glazes he uses, this piece as well as others in this collection look very spacey, as if they were extra-terrestrial. I like the somewhat broken and messy form he produced around the edges. It looks like the bottom of the bowl is convex, which brings in different ideas and plays with the reflections in a cool way.

These low-footed bowls are interesting in that they are host to painted bust portraits of heroes and heroines. They offer art as well as being a utilitarian tool for eating. I like the finish of these bowls and the profile paintings remind me of Romanesque art and currency.


No comments:

Post a Comment