Saturday, October 8, 2011

Master Bowls, by Joe Savidge

This bowl by Warren Mackenzie holds my interest because of its rough and unbalanced aesthetic.  The bowl’s base seems unstable and counter to what a hungry person may look for in a bowl.  The bowl has a grooved/bumpy effect on the outside. I like the unpredictability of the ridges and the random rusty-dirt colored specks.

This bowl feels classic to me, and I don’t know if that’s only because I found out that Shoji Hamada was born in the nineteenth century.  I like the streaks that meet in the center.  They’re wobbly and I’m glad they don’t exactly meet in the center.  The green glaze is full of shade variations that keep my eyes intrigued.  This is a nice piece that seems simple at first but has many subtle treats.
 
Linda Arbuckle’s cherry bowl.  With the small base, the bowl seems unbalanced.  The waves in the bowl’s rim are a treat for the eyes, better than symmetrical predictability. The rim waves affect the whole bowl by throwing it into a goofy rhythm. Beautiful hand-painted cherries and trim colorings. 


Suze Lindsay has beautiful large cereal bowls.  Funky glaze jobs make these bowls a breakfast favorite.  She puts a lot of wacky detail into the outside design of each bowl, which is a nice change from the blandness that comes with a smooth surface.  These bowls seem outrageous, like they are free spirits that’d never do something boring like study mathematical theories.  The stackability is welcoming as well.
 

2 comments: