Monday, October 10, 2011

Journal Entry #3: Bowls

After a couple weeks getting used to throwing clay on a wheel again, I'm starting to actually begin thinking about how to shape my pieces, rather than worrying about how tall I can throw them. I noticed that I have absolutely no idea how I want my pieces to look because I'm still super excited that I can get the clay to semi-do what I want it to. So good thing this assignment was about looking at bowls and their feet because it forced me to look at what other artists have done, and give me some ideas about how I can make mine look just as cool. 

Seeing as how there were only two pictures of Warren MacKenzie's work on accessceramics.org, I figured I'd post the only picture of a "bowl" that he had. Well, technically he calls it a "vase", but my main concern here is looking at how he made the bottom of his "vase" look.




As you can see here, obviously he did some post-wheel designing on the outside of the vase, but ultimately, I like what he did with the bottom. I always get too scared to push the clay in that far because I never think there is enough clay at the bottom. Clearly he's doing some pulling/rib tool work that I haven't yet mastered. It's visually striking, I must say.




Here's another example of a bold bottom:





This bowl is by Shoji Hamada. Again, there were only a couple pictures of his work so I naturally chose this piece. He does the same idea of pushing the bottom of the clay in, way further than what I'm comfortable doing, and it sets the rest of the piece on a nice little platform to view it.








Linda Arbuckle takes a different approach on the foot of her bowl than the previous artists. Hers bellows out a little, but it still looks pretty cool. 





This bowl was by Suze Lindsay. The bottom of this bowl also differs from the other pieces up there ^ . I like it because it still gives it the upward platform to look at the other piece, but it doesn't totally cut out the foot by still having the very bottom come out. 




Source: www.accessceramics.org

No comments:

Post a Comment