Sunday, October 9, 2011

journal entry 3 (Michaela)

BOWLS
Warren MacKenzie's pottery, and his bowls specifically are very natural looking to me. His pottery seems to possess a kind of holistic quality that make s it feel like it was just found in nature. I think a major reason that his pottery has such a look are the colors and textures that his uses on them. The glazes he selects are natural colors that remind me of the seasons. Also, many of his pieces have textures on them that look very similar to bark or leaves.

Shoji Hamada's work has a distinctly oriental feel to it. His pieces remind me of things i would see while in Chinatown, or in Asia for that matter. I have visited Asia before and I saw a lot of things that remind me of his pottery. Hamada seems to use brighter colors and more vivid patterns than Warren MacKenzie.

This bowl by Linda Arbuckle is actually strikingly similar to the dishes my mom used to have in her kitchen. She seems to use a much more western style, almost a country cottage look to her work. Linda's emphasis appears to be more on the paintings on the pottery rather than the structure of the piece so much.

Suze Lindsays' work seems to me to be a sort of hybrid between Linda Arbuckle, and Shoji Hamada. she has some pieces with the Asian sort of look, and others are painted with the sunny colors and wispy patterns of the country style. 

No comments:

Post a Comment