Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Hey, Where's The Handle?





















A mug is a mug, with or without a handle. When I was growing up, my dad accidentally broke handles off of our mugs whenever we got new ones. our cupboards were filled with "handless coffee cups" and it became more of a joke. After I signed up for ceramics, I told him that I would make him mugs without handles to save him the trouble of a spilled hot drink. Although I have always had a collections of "handless" mugs, I would rather have one to keep my drink from burning my hands or getting warm if it is a cool beverage or cereal.



I get bored with the same old handles. I've seen mugs with designs that make you want to pour some coffee and enjoy yourself. Handles that make the whole piece come together, show some one's talent, and make it awkward to hold but you feel cool with it in your hand so it doesn't even matter. I want to be creative with the handles on my mugs. It won't happen until I have more experience but my goal it to be able to use my brain to make some intriguing works. For now, However, I will stick to mugs without handles.



I do love me some handles on my mugs but they are not always necessary to create a work of art. If a handle was on some mugs, it would clutter the design and change the whole piece. Some of the most beautiful works do not have handles and sometimes, they are so beautiful because of the lack of the bulky appendage.

1 comment: