Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Assignment 4 - contemporary bowls

Allison Edmisten


These are bowls by Courtney Murphy. These interest me because of the detail in the glaze and the shape of the bowl. They look like they were spun but then reshaped and widened one way to give it an oval shape. The glaze looks like it took a lot of work, being very intricate. I want to know what she used to color it with. I thought glaze moved around. But this looks like it was drawn on with a marker almost. Perhaps it is a different coat such as a slip? I also noticed the ring around the bottom to give room for glaze movement. 


These bowls are by Kristin Keiffer and are my favorite. I love them because of the design and the carvings. they look like they were spun and then intricately detailed by hand. They must have taken a long time to make. I also love the glaze how it is not too thick and the lines and carvings look white and dark in the cracks. The foot gives it an elegant base. If I were to continue to make bowls, I would like to try carvings like these. They are each different but look like they belong together in a set. 



This is a bowl by Linda Arbuckle. I like this because of the alterations that were done. It looks almost square. I also noticed the foot. I have not seen any bowls like this that do not have a prominent foot. This seems to be larger than the bowl though. A very different look but I like it. I also like the handle and how it was incorporated into the glaze and the design. I like how the inside is a different color than the outside but the branches or grass like figures still exist inside the bowl. 


No comments:

Post a Comment