Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Masayoshi Oya, Deborah Schwartzkopf, & Kristen Kieffer

I love this ensemble called "Untitle" constructed by Masayoshi Oya. There is a unity between the pieces and yet they are all unique and strong alone. I love the almost metallic effect the glazing had on the surface which adds incredible depth and color that I hadn't really seen before.


I've noticed I'm really drawn to pieces that look like they belong in a set or somehow go together. In this set called "Pouring Bowls" by Deborah Schwartzkopf, there are varying sizes of otherwise identical pieces showing the almost carbon copy effect. There had to have been a somewhat mathematical approach to creating the right size ratio for all three pieces to fit so well together as well as meticulous attention paid to detail due to the fact the bowls also have identical glazing patterns.

In case you guys aren't tired of seeing in three's yet, here's another set! I love the look of Middle Eastern art and textiles and that is a big part of why I enjoy this set so much. This set is called "Small stamped bowls, stack" by Kristen Kieffer. I like the using of a color family to show unity through the pieces as well as the differing patterns that also have the same "family" feel to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment