Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Bowls - Liz Woodard





This group of bowls looks to me to be completely utilitarian. These to me don't look like something that were used for decoration or as status symbols of wealth. The one thing that does stand out to me is the uniformity in shape.


This tea bowl looks very interesting to me and I thought it was rather large until I looked at the dimensions. I like how it is a tea bowl, but as we were told in class it is actually used as a cup. I think it's shape is rather interesting, it has more straight sides that I would expect from a bowl.


This cup interested me because the description says that it is highly valued in the Japan, however it does not look smooth, is not balanced, and the clay is rough so it makes me wonder why exactly they are so valuable. Is it just because they are made by a family that have done them for generations?

http://artaxis.org/ceramics/meaden_lorna/lorna_meaden/meaden-06.jpg
I like these bowls because they are uniform in shape and style, however, they are still each unique since the paintings on each are different and not uniform.

http://artaxis.org/ceramics/shaw_andy/andy_shaw/bowls(2)(2).jpg
I love the uniformity and simplicity of these bowls! I like how there are a various sizes, however each bowl still has three rows of patterns on them. I wonder how exactly they put the design on these bowls, a press or reductive techniques.

http://artaxis.org/ceramics/spangler_shawn/shawn_spangler/8(2)(2).jpg
I don't understand this bowl. To me it doesn't look very utilitarian or practical for use. This is something that I would just put on a shelf and probably not use. It is very cool with all the accoutrements and different colors and designs on it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment