Friday, May 11, 2012

Heather Clerf's Assignment 1-Ceramic Heads

Tanya Batura - "MonochromaF2"
This is the piece I used as inspiration for my first head assignment. It reminded me of a picture I saw and a short story I wrote in high school. The picture had bodies poking out of the ground and I saw it as a sort of creation - the bodies being formed from the earth. When I saw this piece it made me think of the person starting to be formed.

Jacob Foran - "King"
I liked this piece a lot. The eyes are so striking, and the color contrasts bring the piece together. I like how smooth the whole form feels.

Unlisted Artist - "Archetype"
Generally I enjoy the realistic sculptures more than the surreal, but I found this one to be very interesting. Despite the headpiece, the face has smooth lines and curves and looks regal. I also like the use of the gold and negative space.

Tip Toland - "Deafening"
This head caught my eye right away. At first glance it was a little startling and I thought it looked sort of ugly, but after a while I've started to see it as really beautiful. I love the lifelike quality, but beyond that, the simplicity of the imagery is stunning. Our culture has grown to see the elderly as no longer useful and ugly. Other cultures revere their elders and see them as great pillars of knowledge. This old man is beautiful, even with his baldness, missing teeth, and age spots. Toland also did an amazing job with the emotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment