Monday, May 14, 2012

Assignment 1, Heads


Fred Press

When I saw these heads I really enjoyed the colors and patina. I want to do a glaze similar to this on one of my heads. I like the emotion these pieces capture, a very sad lonely look yet they have each other. Also, the base of the piece adds a lot; instead of the piece just floating there, it gives it a sense of completeness. 



Jasmine Gill

I chose this piece because of the hair texture and the proportions of the face. I had a hard time making hair work and tried using slabs, it looked horrible and I ended up with two bald heads. I think the fact that she scrapped away at the clay instead of adding, made the hair look way more realistic. The up do also makes it easier to handle without breaking, and gives more emphasis on the shoulder and ears.


Robert Lohman 

I chose this piece because of the hollowness and lightness this piece has. I had a lot of problems with the eyes of my piece, and this piece has no eyes and gives a sense of emptiness...which is good when talking about this piece. I also enjoyed the hands, they help stabilize the piece and add just the right amount of detail to make this piece all around beautiful.


Tom Bartel

I like the texture in this piece. Instead of smoothing out the head, like the texture of skin, the artist made several random lines with a great patina to capture the wear and tear almost rugged look. I feel that all of these factors really added to the piece as a whole, and without the texture and glaze, this piece would be too ordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment