Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Assignment 3 - ancient bowls

Allison Edmisten


This bowl is from Iraq and was made during the 9th century. The specific artists are not listed for the ancient pieces. I like this bowl because of the intricate detail. I also like the faint cracks in the glaze. I am not sure if that is from old age or if it is from the glaze cracking naturally or if the lines were put there. It looks like old age to me. I was wondering if the middle was a word and the description said it means "happiness." I think it is beautiful because I do not recognize whether it is a word or design. 


These are monochrome bowls from Rome and were made during the 1st century. These bowls amaze me because they look exactly like the ones were were making in class. The foot and lip are the proportions we were going for. However, these are so old. It shows that the practicality of a simple bowl like this has been around for centuries. They are also glazed in natural glaze but with color. The turquoise is nice and vibrant. These make me wonder how exactly they were made. Were they thrown on a wheel and trimmed exactly how we made ours? 


This is a tea bowl from the Song dynasty. It is very beautiful and proportionate. The glaze interests me. You can see on the bottom right where the glaze is thicker. It slid down while being fired and pooled towards the bottom. This is a very simple and practical bowl and was probably used regularly. It is interesting that the glaze starts lower than the lip. perhaps it moved or was meant to have the natural rim. 

No comments:

Post a Comment