Sunday, February 8, 2015

Assignment #3 - Rhytons

For my historical piece, I chose this picture from the google search link provided in the syllabus. I couldn't find any rhytons on artaxis or accessceramics. I like the black glaze or slip on the Greek rhytons. I like the contrast compared to the red and white clay we've been using so far, so I would like to use the black slip in this assignment. I like how the cow's shape is accurate. I've never seen rhytons before, so it was a nice surprise to see that these exist.

For my contemporary piece, I went to etsy.com and found this one. This piece by Chischilly Pottery is currently for sale for $50.00. It is described as being a rhyton in the shape of a wolf's head. I would like to emulate the great carving and shaping work in this piece, and combine this idea with the classic dark coloring of Greek rhytons.
White Direwolf Rhyton Drinking Horn Style Beer Mug - Original Design Fantasy Art for Renaissance, Medieval Fests, Wolf Lovers Mug
As for the two (or three?) rhytons I am going to make, I would like to do one in the shape of an owl (possibly the Laughing Owl that has gone extinct) and a dog, since dogs are a part of my life. There is the issue about animal rights and proper care for all animals, regardless if they are some exotic big cat or your household pet.
For my drawings, I did these.

No comments:

Post a Comment