Saturday, March 30, 2013

Sarah H. #1

I picked this piece because I love the detailing. The effect reminds me of tweed or herringbone. The amount of time it took to create that design is impressive and the overall aesthetic appeals to me. I'm also interested in the four holes on the top. It seems like at one time there may have been rope or something through there. I wonder if it had any practical purpose at all or is simply part of the design?
I loved these towers, though I have no idea at all what they are meant to be or represent. I can't help imagine how lovely they would be as pots for plants (I adore plants). I also enjoy how some of them seem a bit off-cilter, and they aren't perfectly circular. Again, the holes...

 I particularly liked the coloring effects on this head. The lips look painted while the chest and parts of the forehead look almost bleached (though I'm not sure what technique was used). I get the impression that he's melting. I would assume this is a representation of a clown, which is interesting considering his expression and upturned eye. It doesn't really portray basic sadness, which I like, but a very complex emotion that I'm having trouble finding words for.

I liked this piece immediately, probably because I am drawn to images of people with their eyes closed. I'm not sure why exactly, maybe because it seems like there is a focus on what is happening internally rather than the observation of something external to the person. The colors of this are also very expressive, how they are used to emphasize shadows of the face. The darkening above and around the eye gives me a feeling of importance or seriousness. Again, I'm not sure why.

No comments:

Post a Comment