Saturday, March 30, 2013

BLOG POST 1 : Get Your Head Together





 
 
Hello!

It is amazing how the people of the ancient and modern worlds have utilized ceramics to tell stories, pass along important information, and to decorate spaces with intent. In both time periods, artists have had a strong attention to detail and contribute to the visual market by creating unique pieces. 

On the blog inspired by Jomon and Haniwa, I chose to represent Haniwa's House and a vase by Jomon for my first blog post. I know from art history that people tend to create work based on things that are considered most important to them. Haniwa must have desired for the home to be recorded in time. Rather than the appearance of the clay home, I am more interested in the intent behind this artifact being made. Jomon's vase was chosen for the opposite reason. The intricate detail of the scrolls and notches were visually pleasing to me and therefore interested me the most.

I was struck immediately by the originality and variety of faces on Jacob Foran's website. The first bust that particularly caught my attention was the unusual portrait created by Tip Toland (Deafening). I did a double take while scrolling through the images because of the drama it emanated. The level of detail and realism is stunning. I can tell that Toland studied the subtleties in skin movement, hugging the man's bones as it would in real life. I am also intrigued by the moment that the artist chose to create; the man being in the middle of a (nearly) toothless laugh. Capturing an expression such as this makes the overall piece dynamic and the use of color is expertly used. Almost opposite in style yet equal in technique and skill, Tanya Batura's "Monochroma F2," presented me with another good portrait to discuss. I love the way the work melts into itself. The word "organic" comes to mind when looking at the smooth lines of the human figure. I appreciate the monotone color and thoughtful expression and love the look of each body part (lips, nose, eyes, etc...).       

I am excited to be taking this class before I graduate! I think it will be a fun learning experience and maybe I will find a new hobby. Who knows?

Megan Woodruff

As an amusing side note, this bust reminds me a bit of Gollum laughing from Lord of the Rings.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment