Sunday, March 31, 2013

Assignment #1 - Kori Lumpkin

The first picture that I found was of a Haniwa Boat. I liked the  features of what I assume are the posts, and how instead of sails they have geometric ornaments. This piece seemed to utilize a lot of geometric shapes with hard lines. I liked how this complimented the overall circular shape of the boat hull. I also liked how instead of it appearing to be on water, it appeared to be sitting on a house or some other type of building.


For the second piece, I chose the Haniwa Boar. At first, I thought that it resembled a platypus - it seemed to have a bill of sorts. I like the detail of the curly tail, as well as the simple features of the boar itself. After reading that it was a boar, I could see how the legs seem to be tied, and the eyes closed as if the boar was being roasted for a feast. I like that this piece was simplistic.


On the Jacob Foran site, I was drawn to two heads in particular. The first head, "King" was created by Jacob Foran. I liked the simple colors of this piece as well as the texture look that the glaze has on the face. I   like how the turquoise on the crown is accented by the gold edges. I was first drawn to the expression on the face of this King, to me it seems like he was a look of slight boredom, as if someone is speaking to him and he is bored and doesn't care. The eyes really show this expression well. 


The final piece I selected was "Krishna" by Judy Fox. I liked the use of flat colors in this head. I felt that the colors were reminiscent of the coloring of the sculptures found in the Terracotta Army of the Emperor Qin Shi Huang. I liked the ornament placed around the hair bun as well. I could not as readily tell what the expression on this face was depicted as showing as I felt like I could in the first sculpture I chose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment