Sunday, March 31, 2013

Blog I



This piece stood out to me for several reasons. First of all, I greatly admire the texture. It looks as though someone put a lot of work into this, displayed in the strict attention to detail and the creativity portrayed. The pattern is not unlike a herringbone stitch, which gives the illusion of a soft, almost fabric-like surface. The design at the opening of the ceramic is beautiful, and gave me an impression of movement. In speculation, the holes at the top may have been used as places to tie a rope to allow for easier carrying.


I immediately appreciated this piece. It is beautifully done. The carvings are intricate and give close attention to detail. The top is reminiscent of a gladiator type arena, what with the raised handles (I believe that is what they are) representing the stadium seats. I realize this may be an unusual way of looking at art, but I immediately thought of the planet Geonosis, from Star Wars. Perhaps because of the desert-like coloring. Okay, my nerdy side is coming out so I'll stop there.






Jacob Foran
I LOVE this piece! I cannot say exactly why, but as soon as I saw it I loved every aspect of it. The blue adds a brilliant splash of color. The unique pattern in the face gives the appearance of real skin. The eyes are serious and wise, with a hint of...sadness, perhaps. The lips are wonderfully sculpted; they look so real! The whole work rather reminds me of an African prince of epochs past. 


Tip Toland
It was a little harder to come up with a second figure, but I finally decided on 'Deafening'. The realistic bone structure just astounds me in this piece. It is so life-like that it nearly looks as though it is a photograph. The little details are what makes this man seem real. The age spots, veins, and missing teeth add so much. The wrinkles of laughter, the carefully-wrought creases around the eyebrows and mouth, are superb in the highest degree. He is delighted in every sense of the word.



Looking forward to learning more!
~ Ariella Hillger

No comments:

Post a Comment