Sunday, March 31, 2013

Blog #1


From the Jomon and Haniwa blog, the first historical figure that I liked is the Jomon tall form. It really caught my attention the intricate details surrounding the ceramic. The texture created by the intricate details was visually appealing. The texture looked very real like I could touch it and feel it as well.



The second historical figure that I liked is the Haniwa House 2. The overall size of the figure is incredible and just amazes me, the sheer size of it. Something else that stood out and amazed me as well was how symmetrical and balanced the figure was – the left side mirrored the right side.



From the Jacob Foran website, the first contemporary figure that I liked is the Monochroma F2
Ceramic. It was unconventional and not like the others – the head is not in an upright position and the eyes closed, so it stood out to me. I thought the laid back position of the head, eyes closed, rested mouth, the smoothness of the texture and black color, brought a serene quality and refined look it.




The second contemporary figure that I liked is the Deafening Ceramic. At first, I didn’t like it because the first thing that I noticed was the missing teeth in the mouth and for some reason that bugged me. But after carefully looking at it some more, I began to appreciate it. What I appreciated about it was that it was one of the more natural and realistic figures on the website – the facial expression with the eyes closed, and mouth opened in a laughing manner. Also, the creases around the eyes, mouth, and around the shoulders to display the bones and veins as a result of the laughing facial expression, added to the realistic look of it. In addition, the color used for the skin, is natural, it is what the color of skin is for most people. 



No comments:

Post a Comment