Sunday, June 3, 2012

Heather Clerf's Assignment 4- Contemporary Bowls

 Masayoshi Oya - Untitle
These bowls look like they were cast out of metal. I love the way the mangan glaze changes the appearance of the stoneware and gives it a shiny, metalic quality. The presentation of the bowls is also really cool with the shapes scratched into the sand like a zen garden.
 Hayne Bayless - Bowls
These bowls caught my eye. The inverted shapes and colors create an odd balance along the darted corners. Square bowls always kind of baffle me because when I think of a bowl, it is always round. I enjoy looking at them, but find the practicality minimal. I like that these pieces also combine lines and curves in a different way than is normally expected, with the top edges curved upward instead of outward and the lines going up the sides instead of being curved.
Linda Arbuckle - Bowl: Red Notched Orange Center
This bowl by Linda Arbuckle used majolica, but the color has a much different, sharper feel to it than the historic bowls I posted about. I thought it was interested also, that his piece was made of terra cotta instead of the stoneware or porcelain I normally think of for dishes. The notched edges work well with the painted design she used and they create another layer to the bowl's appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment