Sunday, June 3, 2012

Heather Clerf's Assignment 3-Historic Bowls

 I liked this footed bowl from the 1530s titled "Childbirth". The maiolica created beautiful colors in the imagery. I couldn't tell very well, but it looks like the bowl has a double rim, which I think is neat. I thought about trying to do a bowl with a double rim, but felt a little rushed to get all 50 done. I began playing with my shapes more toward the end, but was a little daunted by the double rim. I also really like the hollowed-out, tall foot on this bowl. Below is another view of the same bowl.
 I like the shape of these "Monochrome" bowls from the 1st century A.D. I did a double-take when I saw that these bowls were less than 2 inches tall and three inches in diameter, but it looks like they are there as representations of Roman style glassware. The gentle and smooth curve of the bowls is really nice.


 Here's another piece with maiolica. I'm not much of a painter, but if I'm able to take anymore ceramics classes I would like to work with some. Not only does the form of the bowl itself talk about its history, but the artwork and the details included tell us so much about what was valued and considered art.
I really like this Japanese temmoku tea bowl's glaze. The shape is different that what I am used to seeing and what I worked toward when creating my own bowls, but I can see the utility in it. The glaze's iridescent quality is one that I really enjoy and it also has a earthy feel with the separated "hare's fur" lines.  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Heather, it was a pleasure to experience Ceramics with you for the first time. I hope to see you around Eburg in the future. Take care, stay sweet!

    ReplyDelete