Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Historic & Contemporary bowls

Historic
This is a tea bowl by the Japanese, dated back to 960. I find it pretty impressive that bowls like this made from so long ago look so uniform and good.

Here is another tea bowl by the Japanese, dated back to 1516. This one is quite unique and different from the previous. Rather then being thrown on the wheel, this one was molded by hand (of which I especially like).

                                                                       Contemporary
This thrown bowl by Masayoshi Oya I found interesting because of the small, thin bottom on it compared to how wide the bowl is. Also, to see how thin the bowl actually is.


This bowl by Michel Conroy is very interesting and cool. The bowl was thrown and also assembled. I find it interesting because usually when I think of a bowl, I think of it being circular, rather with this one it is just different.

No comments:

Post a Comment